Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cheddar Cauliflower Soup


I have been very neglectful of the whole blog posting thing. I have some excuses - moving, internet issues, laziness. I have a large backlog of things to post. This was the first meal that I cooked in my new apartment. I had cauliflower, leeks, and carrots left over from the last of my summer CSA and I wanted to make a soup with them, preferably the cheesy kind. With a little help from google I found an appropriate recipe from Food in Jars to use as a starting point. The soup turned out delicious. I used the vegetables and quantities that I had on hand. One of the best things about soup is that it is flexible and forgiving. Think about vegetables that would blend well with a creamy cheddar sauce - onions, broccoli, potatoes.

recipe adapted from food in jars

1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
2-3 large carrots, diced
3 leeks, well-washed and sliced
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup white wine
~1 quart vegetable stock
pepper
salt

3 tablespoons butter
3 heaping tablespoons flour
3 cups milk/milk alternative
1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese
freshly grated nutmeg
pepper
salt
  • soak chopped cauliflower in cold salted water for 30 minutes (this gets rid of all the bugs - I think bugs are more of an issue with organic cauliflower/broccoli and less of an issue with their conventional counterparts)
  • saute vegetables in the oil/butter mixture until soft and browned, be careful not to burn the butter
  • deglaze pan with the wine, making sure to get all the brown bits off the bottom
  • add enough stock to cover the vegetables, cover and simmer until veggies are soft (10-15 minutes depending on size)
while veggies are simmering make cheese sauce
  • melt the butter in a medium sauce pan
  • add the flour and stir to blend, cook until color darkens a bit
  • slowly add the milk and whisk until smooth (maybe helpful to remove from heat)
  • cook milk/flour mixture until it begins to thicken
  • add the cheese and stir until blended
  • add salt/pepper and freshly grated nutmeg
hopefully your vegetables are soft when you are done with your cheese sauce
  • blend vegetable mixture (immersion blender, food processor, etc)
  • add cheese sauce and mix
  • add salt/pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment