Sunday, October 4, 2009

King of the Soup Onions (Leek) and Potato Soup

Potatoes and leeks both in my CSA this week, so this soup was an obvious dinner choice. I started with a recipe from How to Cook Everything and doctored it up a bit. It really is a simple soup though. (A cook book I have informed me that leeks are the "king of the soup onions.")

potatoes - I had about 10 or 12 smallish
leeks - 3 large
apples - 1 or 2 (this was my addition, there are so many apples in my kitchen, they are a required addition to every meal)
butter (or oil) - 2 T
veggie stock - I used 8 C but wished I used about 6 C - warm/hot saves time
cream - 1 C
salt and pepper
savory (I also added this to the recipe, came in my CSA right before I left town a couple weeks ago so I shoved it in the freezer for future soup)

1. Rinse and chop potatoes, leeks (white part only), apples.
2. Melt butter in soup pot.
3. Add chopped veggies from step one, salt and pepper, savory, stir and cook for a few minutes
4. Add stock and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until everything is soft (depends on what kind of potatoes you are using).
5. Remove from heat, add cream.
6. Process in food processor in batches or use immersion blender if you've got one.
7. Return to pot and heat until steamy but not boiling.
8. Serve with salad and crusty bread, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment