Thursday, August 13, 2009

Zucchini and Basil Muffins



I have an excess of zucchini so have been searching for some recipes to make use of it. This is a savory muffin and doesn't have much sugar in it at all. I used soy milk and a 50/50 blend of white flour and whole wheat so they were probably a little denser then the original recipe. I don't think the basil came through much in the final product so I think I would add a little more next time. These are best warm right out of the oven and definitely benefit from reheating (I just popped them in the toaster oven for a few minutes). I had dreams of making them into savory little sandwiches but they would have been tiny. These are muffins so be careful not to over mix. Just blend the wet and dry until just combined and then add the zucchini and basil.

recipe from Just Hungry
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbs. baking powder
  • 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
  • 2 Tbs finely julienned fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or similar hard grating cheese


Blend the eggs, milk and oil in a large bowl. In a second bowl blend the dry ingredients. Add the dry to the wet and stir until just combined. Stir in zucchini and basil.

Fill greased muffins tins about half full. Sprinkle with cheese. (I put the muffins in the oven for 5 minutes before I added the cheese to let the heat level out the batter a little).

Bake in 425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment