Thursday, January 7, 2010

Granola Bars


I eat too many pre-made, overly packaged, expensive granola bars, luna bars, cliff bars etc. In an effort to curb this habit and because I love Alton Brown I have tried both his protein bars (totally forgot to post it) and most recently his granola bars. The granola bars turned out great. I was afraid they weren't going to stay together but that wasn't the case at all. Since it isn't really a "baked good" with scientific principles governing the outcome you can sub out different nuts, toss in a little whole grain flour, add shredded coconut, chocolate chips, you get the idea. I didn't have enough honey so I replaced half of the honey with coconut butter. I looked into some variations after I made these and it seems as though you could get away without baking them at the end and it might result in a chewy version. I might try that next.

recipe adapted from Alton Brown
~2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
~1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
~1/2 cup raw pumpkins seeds
~1 cup sliced almonds
~1/2 cup wheat germ
~1/2 cup honey
~1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
~2 tsp unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
~1 1/2 cups chopped dried fruit, any combination (I used cherries, golden raisins, blueberries and cranberries)

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Butter 9x11 baking dish and set aside.
  3. Spread the oats, seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Be careful not to burn these)
  4. Combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat the brown sugar has dissolved.
  5. When the oat/seed/nut mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F.
  6. Immediately add the dry mixture to the sugar/honey mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine.
  7. Dump the mixture into the prepared baking dish and press down.
  8. Bake for 25 minutes.
  9. When done, remove pan from the oven and allow to cool completely. (This is very true I tried to cut one early and it fell apart)
  10. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

1 comment:

  1. Kim,

    I just made these last night, yum! What a great snack to bring to work. I used dates and raisons for the fruit, and for the nuts I used sunflower seeds, walnuts, flax seeds, and a little bit of shredded coconut I had leftover from my chicken birthday cake, although now that I think about it, I guess coconut is more of a fruit than a nut. Anyway, they turned out delicious, if a bit hard to get out of the pan. Nice and chewy and hold together really well. I wonder if I could cut down on the honey (expensive) without them falling apart?

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete